2/12/11

Nursing Mothers Revolt Against Hirshhorn

 "If you don't know the rules, Wikipedia is just a few clicks away."

Today, dozens of lactivists will be visiting the Hirshorn Museum not to admire sculpture but to nourish their babies (in public).

Reclining Nude at the Hirshorn
The incident that spurred this nurse-in occurred last month when Noriko Aita, who was nursing her daughter on a bench in the museum was told to go to the bathroom and sit on the toilet, not once, but by two different guards.

I understand that the guard had good intentions.  But when you're not sure of the rules, Wikipedia is only a few clicks away.  That's what Noriko did and after confirming that a mother has a right to breastfeed on federal property (Right to Breastfeed Act, 1999), she went online to report the outrage and word quickly spread.



So, what was Hirshhorn's damage control?


I remember two years ago (at another Smithsonian Museum), told by a zealous guard to put away my Iphone (I was on Wikipedia researching background on a painting).  The guard informed me that cell phones were not allowed.  I then responded that I believe that this policy was created to keep people from talking on their cell phones.  A year later Smithsonian created an IPhone app that enhances your tour of the museum.

A word of wise to those who are working hard on the job, please try to be reasonable from time to time.  And if you don't know the rules, Wikipedia is just a few clicks away (Oh, I forgot, IPhones aren't allowed).

No comments:

Post a Comment