4/18/11

Emancipation Day Break-in

I woke up Friday morning and I was really happy. That's because sitting in my inbox was a Living Social Dollar Lunch to dozens of restaurants all over the city.  I was more than happy -- I was stoked!

I was on my way to Baltimore, heading to Startup Weekend, so just prior to leaving the city, I conveniently stopped at a very nice restaurant in Dupont Circle.

The restaurant was cozy with a nice ambience.  But because I wanted to arrive in Baltimore before the rush hour traffic, I grabbed something to go and quickly returned to my car, only to find window glass all over the sidewalk and my backpack with my Macbook Pro and videocamera was conveniently lifted from my car seat.

I would have screamed if it wasn't for the pleasant demeanor of a young lady who was already on the phone with the police.  Tinoi  was having lunch in a restaurant directly across the street.  She had seen the whole thing -- a vagrant thug was walking up and down 17th Street NW looking into cars.

A moment later, glass shatters and the thug is seeing running down 17th with a backpack in tow.

View Larger Map

By the time I arrived, a mere five minutes had escaped.  I was livid. Tinoi's presence was reassuring.

It took nearly an hour for the police to arrive.  Incidentally, we found out that DC was celebrating Emancipation Day
(to celebrate the freeing of the enslaved people of DC, nine months before Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation).  A DC holiday while everyone else works means still lots of people downtown with less patrol and police operations.

When the officer arrived he explained to me that there has been a rash of break-ins lately.  If I had taken the time to look at SpotCrime, I would have found this out, but who does have the time.

Furthermore, I didn't really enjoy the lunch downtown.  I didn't have a chance to read consumer reviews like Yelp because, well, I didn't have the time.
Parked along 17th Street


The first thing I did after Tinoi called the police was update on Facebook that my car was broken into and my laptop and Canon Videocamera stolen.  Mike Brenner from Startup Weekend Baltimore immediately contacted me and informed me that they could easily refund my money.

I thanked Mike for the offer but told him no.  Come hell or high water I was heading to Baltimore.  I had an idea to pitch and I wasn't quitting until I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment