6/27/10

RUNIN Haiti and Poland in DC

"Running in DC is always an adventure -- My Coach always said, you never know what you're gonna get"

What connection does Haiti and Poland have with the National Mall.  None that I'm aware of, unless, you're happen to go running like,  me.
 
Today, I literally ran into old friends at the National Mall.  Yes indeed, a year ago, I met Connie and Natasha (while running) at the annual Polish Dancing and the Laying of the Wreaths Ceremony at the Lincoln Memorial.  This year, I ran into them again, coincidentally, on the other side of the Mall: US Capitol Reflecting Pool.  "Running in DC is always an adventure -- My Coach always said, you never know what you're gonna get."

Here is the post from last year.

So why when I was enjoying my time at the Folklife Fest, all of a sudden I decided to go running.

It was intermission at the Evening Concert at the 44th annual Folklife Festival, and I said "Why not?"

I was enjoying the Boukman Eksperyans perform a special concert for Haiti.  Boukman is a Grammys-nominated group who performed an interesting mix of Haitian-Caribbean fusion for over two hours.  Before long, the crowd were on their feet moving to the rhythm and sound of Haitian music.

What I found also interesting is the fact that the Smithsonian is leading an international team in preserving thousands of artwork from scores of museums and collapsed buildings in Port-au-Prince.  The Smithsonian has found a large, 7,500-square-foot building which was formerly occupied by the U.N.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post thanks for sharing some info and running events...:D

    ReplyDelete