1/7/11

Yelp's "Most Wanted" at Crime & Punishment Museum

Don't know why I actually felt home here.
Hi Chito!

I just wanted to let you know that a couple guests at tonight's (er, well I guess last night's technically) event came up to me letting me know they found a Kindle and saw that it was registered under your name!

I just wanted to let you know that you don't need to panic and I have your baby (I myself have a Nook so I know what it's like). If you'd like to meet somewhere or come over to pick it up from my place, just let me know. But I just wanted you to know that it's in good hands!

Take care and I hope you had a good time at the event!

Amanda S.
Yelp DC Intern

I was one of the fortunate few hundred who had a chance to visit the Crime and Punishment Museum for Yelp's Most Wanted Party.  Since I spent New Years Eve at home typing on the computer, this was my way to make up for my missed celebration.

It was a wonderful evening, until I turned around and for the life of me, I couldn't remember where I put it.  It was only when I was perusing the dark side at the CSI Experience that it suddenly dawned on me that I left it in jail.

So I rushed two floors up to the replica jail cell only to discover that my amazing Kindle had disappeared.

Surely, there were enough thugs and jailbirds within these walls to make a quick snatch and run (There was even an actual life-size hole in the wall for your daring jail cell escape).


People waited for hours for a cut




Based on my slew of bad luck in Philly last month where I was pickpocketed on Saturday and had my bike stolen on Sunday during the Marathon weekend, I didn't expect anyone to return my treasured eBook reader.

So, apply RUNIN (Research, Understand, Negotiate, Innovate, Navigate), I cooly accepted my loss and committed to peruse, sample and make new friends.

After helping myself to the spectacular scallops from Dupont Hotel, I sampled both the chicken and beef rice plates from Mezi.  Then to top off my eclectic dinner, I feasted on two gigantic meatballs and lasagna from Carmine's which BTW, took forever to eat.  
"Lineup" Shot by Frank L.

All washed down with a few batch 19 (Pre Prohibition) beers as well as Pinot Noir from Barefoot Wine and I was both stuffed to the gills and satisfied to my humble heart's delight.

I left forever grateful to Yelp, Tara, Amanda, the Crime and Punishment Museum and all the wonderful, eclectic sponsors who cooked up such a mesmerizing, delectable feast.

Shot by Ruth C.
So why is Yelp so wonderful?  Because, Yelp is the word of mouth in the digital world.  But Yelp isn't just static, boilerplate reviews from the food experts.  YTom Sietsema's Fall 2010 Dining Guideelp is customized, socialized recommendations from the common restaurant goer, like me.

I'd rather listen to my (imaginery) girlfriend's recommendations than to those of Tom Sietsema (no offense Tom).


Even if you don't get a chance to patronize or visit, you will get a chance to relish the restaurant experience vicariously through the reviews and experiences of my fellow-Yelpers.  And if you are high on desire and low on will power like me, before long, you'll end up relishing the restaurants for real.

And what happened to my dear baby Kindle?  Well when I got home with a big grin, a full belly, but a big hole in my heart, I opened my email to see a note from Amanda.

I'm afraid I didn't get the pleasure of meeting Amanda face-to-face.  But I now I get to thank her in person for rescuing my Kindle from the dark side.

Shot by Todd P.





No comments:

Post a Comment