8/31/09


So, immediately after class, I made a bee line for the Foggy Bottom metro so that I could attend "Dance Asia -- Asia in Movies." This year, DC Dance was held in the majestic halls of the magnificent Kennedy Center as part of the Millennium stage -- the free show given 365 days a year. I had the pleasure to attend the Shen Yun performance earlier this week.

The dances included soundtracks from Malaysia, Mongolia, China, Indonesia and India (including "Jai Ho" from Slumdog Millionaire).

It was wonderful and truly enriching to see the intricacies of Asian dance through many different forms and fashion.

Dance Asia is part of Dance Festival DC which is hosting 50 dance performances at over a dozen venues throughout this city.

Sitting with my heroine, Wuiping Yap, after the show -- talented, ambitious, full of energy -- what can I say.

Wuiping tells me that the objectives of Dance Asia is to showcase the diversity of Asia through the art of movement -- this truly hit home with me.

My Goal:

I prefer to serve people and impoverished communities rather than to fight the Taliban or insurgency or other terrorists (not that this isn’t important – it is not something I am not adept at). Particularly, I want to be the voice of the oppressed to gain sympathy, service and to show the world how inspiring one can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment